Beginning with Evagrius of Ponticus's 'On Prayer', Ashley Cocksworth finds in this early document a profound expression of the 'integrity' of the experience of prayer and theological thought. Seeking throughout to integrate systematic theology and the spirituality of prayer, individual chapters explore the meaning of some of the core doctrines of lived Christian faith ? the Trinity, creation, providence, and the Christian life ? as they relate to the practice of prayer. Complete with an annotated bibliography of sources on prayer to promote further reading, this volume appeals to academics and general readers alike.
1. 'Kneeling theology': Evagrius of Ponticus on prayer
2. On the 'integrity' of prayer and theology
3. 'Enlarge our minds': prayer and the Trinity
4. Christ the pray-er, Christ the prayer
5. Petition and providence
6. Being upstanding: the Christian life and the politics of prayer
Appendix ? An annotated bibliography of selected sources on prayer