"Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises unto our King, sing praises. For God is King of all the earth; sing ye praises with understanding," (Psalm 47:6-7).
Throughout the Bible there are songs. Some are songs of celebration and hope while others express despair or humility and still others recount God's redemption. "Songs lift our hearts and minds," writes James Reapsome. "They powerfully convey truth poetically and musically. God commands us to love him totally and exclusively with the union of our emotion, intellect, and will. That's why he included songs when he inspired the words of the Bible."
Taken together these songs reveal our humanity before God and the glory and grace of life in him. In nine studies, this LifeGuide explores several biblical songs from both the Old and New Testaments.
1. Song of Creation Psalm 8
2. Song of Deliverance Exodus 15:1-21
3. Song of Invitation Isaiah 55
4. Song of Hope Jeremiah 31:1-14, 31-34
5. Song of Despair Job 19:1-12, 21-27
6. Song of Triumph Luke 1:46-55
7. Song of Humility Philippians 2:5-11
8. Song of Glory Romans 11:33-36
9. Song of Redemption Revelation 5:6-14